Wireless Tradeoffs in Digital Communications Using a Link Budget
• Understand the tradeoffs in a Wireless Communications system using a simple tool called a Link Budget. This includes signal and noise evaluations.
Digital Communication Advantages
• Understand the advantages between digital communications and analog communications. • Different ways to modulate the carrier frequency such as Phase Shift Keying (BPSK, QPSK, etc), and also spread spectrum and its advantage to prevent inference from others
Basic Principles of Digital Communications
• Learn the principles to separate users from each other by using time, frequency, codes, and others. • Learn how cell phones and other wireless communications handle near/far problems, adjacent channel interference, automatic gain control and dynamic range. • Understand basic concepts such as Image Frequency, Group Delay (important with Digital Communications), Aliasing, Feedback which is necessary to understand digital communications.
Modulation Techniques used to Improve Communications
• Learn about pulse position modulation and how to use it in burst communications. • Examine the advantages and disadvantages of Absolute vs Differential. • Understand the advantages and disadvantages of Coherent vs Differential that can be applied to all types of digital modulation.
Receiving the Signal and Detecting and Correction Errors
• Learn about how to retrieve the data by eliminating the carrier and the spread spectrum code to achieve the desired data • Examine simple concepts to show the probability of errors in the system, and to detect and correct the errors for more reliable communications. • Learn to minimize inter-system interference that causes unreliable detection of the data.
Higher Data Rates vs More Robust Signal
• Learn about the tradeoffs between high data rate modulations and lower more robust modulations.
Multipath, Antenna Diversity, and Removing Undesired Signals
• Examine difference types of Multi-path and how it affects digital communications and radar signals. • Show how antenna diversity can improve the signal against multipath • Learn techniques on how to remove unwanted signals from interfering with your signal.
Satellite Communications and GPS
• Understand the basic concepts for GPS and how it has become a commodity in the civilian community.
• Learn how satellites are used in providing digital communications. Also how older satellites are being used for unique applications. In addition, learn what satellites are available and what type of communications they provide.
Commercial and Military Communications
• Examine communication techniques including 3G, 4G, Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMax, and LTE. • Discover how multiple antennas are being used to increase the data rates and improve the signal quality using MIMO and others. • Learn about different types of Networks that tie the communications together. • Discuss Military radios including, Legacy Radios, JTRS, and Link 16.